I stumbled on some amazing writing tips from the Masters, the “Baba Baba” Writers from back-in-the-days. Men, these tips still apply, believe me.
Writing tips for you
- I try to leave out the parts that people skip. Elmore Leonard. Is there a part that is boring? leave it out. If it is not interesting, if it is not useful, leave it out.
- Substitute “damn” every time you’re inclined to write “very;” your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be. Mark Twain Some words are totally unnecessary. You won’t miss them.
- Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. William Wordsworth Be excited about your writing. Your passion for your writing should easily shine through.
- Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. ~Anton Chekhov Paint a picture! Let your writing paint a picture. Pictures are powerful. They tell stories.
More writing tips
- Vigorous writing is concise. ~William Strunk Jr. KISS. Keep it short and simple. Quite difficult? I agree. But it is effective.
- Write without pay until somebody offers to pay. ~Mark Twain Hmm…
- You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. Ray Bradbury Quite ironic, but a well-taken criticism can make you better. Can be painful though. Look for a good critic.
- Quantity produces quality. If you only write a few things, you’re doomed. ~Ray Bradbury The way you define yourself as a writer is that you write every time you have a free minute. If you didn’t behave that way you would never do anything. John Irving Write! Write! Write! In season and out of season. Keep writing. Wherever. Whenever. However.
Even more writing Tips
- If any man wishes to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts; and if any would write in a noble style, let him first possess a noble soul. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Learn as much by writing as by reading. ~Lord Acton If you have an area of expertise, write about it. If there is an area you are interested in, first read widely about it before you find your voice and start writing.
- I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite ~G.K. Chesterton
- Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative. ~Oscar Wilde Zest. Gusto. How rarely one hears these words used. How rarely do we see people living, or for that matter, creating by them? Yet if I were asked to name the most important items in a writer’s make-up, the things that shape his material and rush him along the road to where he wants to go, could only warn him to look to his zest, see to his gusto. ~Ray Bradbury Stand out! Do your thing. Be yourself. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Go down the road less traveled. Be unique. Keep people guessing.
I wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.
God bless you.
Great stuff, thanx for putting it up.
You are welcome, CJ. Keep writing.
It is such a building collection, and highly appreciated!